Fårösund 100% 1 year
A one-year, full-time distance course in scriptwriting for commercial feature films & drama series.
Story MasterClass is an exclusive one-year, full-time distance course for you with proven knowledge and professional experience as a scriptwriter.
About the course
It provides unique opportunities, knowledge, inspiration, tools and techniques to sharpen your storytelling and advance your screenwriting career, with lectures and personal tutoring from some of the foremost and most renowned teachers in the American film industry (Hollywood).
The course includes
• Lectures and personal tutoring by acclaimed Hollywood teachers
• In-depth studies of concept and character development
• Tools and techniques that enhance the narrative and boost your efficiency
• Building your platform as a professional screenwriter
• Promote and pitch your script and ideas using professional sales argumentation
• Three multi-day meetings – where course management, students and teachers convene for workshops and seminars
Story MasterClass is held entirely in English. The course utilizes digital communication platforms such as Zoom, Dropbox, Slack and Skype.
• Build powerful stories using Hollywood dramas.
• Build a powerful story with writing techniques developed by Hollywood's top dramatists and taught at world leading film schools USC and UCLA.
• Create themes, living characters and dramaturgical structures that can affect a universal audience.
• Create memorable, visually strong and dramatic scenes.
• Write to reach the one to judge your script.
• Practical techniques for building the various parts of your story.
Promotion and Pitch
• Presentation and argumentation techniques developed by professionals.
• Feedback from fellow course participants and active professional film producers
• How to build your platform as a professional screenwriter
• Practice and perfect your professional pitch
By writing a lot, read and analyze others scripts has been an essential combination for my development. To be able to pitch and summarize my concepts both written and verbal for others (like producers) has been a valuable experience as well. By daring to be bad to improve gradually during the process, I can warmly recommend the education to all who wants to develop their screenwriting and increase their chances to work in the industry.
Length: 1-2 år
Post-secondary level (B1)
Group size: 8
24 aug 2020 – 3 juni 2021
Last application day:
30 april, 2020
• transform ideas into a commercially viable story
• write a script for feature film/drama series on demand
• write a pilot section and create a pitch bible for a drama series
• master classical script structure, theme, character development, conflicts, etc.
• shape an outline from an idea
• analyze own and others' script
• sell an idea concept by use of pitch, loglines and one-pagers.
• combine different genres
• master the rewrite process: to receive and draw constructive learning from feedback
• adapt to the film industry's structure and it´s specific expectations and demands on various professions
Tel 070-438 09 26
Main Professional Instructors
Karel Segers Instructor
instructor for features
Kathie Fong Yoneda
Pitching and selling
Learn to communicate subtly through subtitles — what isn’t said or visible.
Learn the importance of a strong midpoint in the story
Point of view
Get unique knowledge in how you can work with the so called POV (point of view) both in telling and in the actual script and how you change POV without losing the interest of the viewer or the reader who is judging your script.
Learn how you can construct the structure for powerful scenes and good transitions between them.
Learn theories how to create unique voice for your character, that also communicate the theme effectively.
Learn how to create unforgettable characters and how you get them to convey themes from different perspectives.
Learn several theories to structure an organic plot, in which the character/characters act out of the plot and their own role as well as personality in it.
Learn different ways to make the theme or underlying issue of the story become visible.
Action vs event
Gain tools to create active characters and the motives that they base their actions on.
Format & Style
A badly written script won’t be read by professional producers. Learn to write like a professional—and give the producer reading your script a fantastic experience so that your script can be realised!
Most stories fail in the key part known as ‘act 2’ and which the course will teach you everything about.
Get an understanding of the importance of creating a unique world for the story so that the themes of the film may be conveyed.
Tuition at the folk high school is free. The costs for literature, travel, consumables, digital platforms and technology are paid by you as a student. At Story MasterClass, the cost is SEK 5,000 / academic year.
Under COSTS you can read more about different costs paid by students at the folk high school.
• You have professional experience in screenwriting and dramaturgy.
• Have written scripts for short, feature films and/or drama series.
These documents should be submitted to the application
(no more than 3 months old)
Grades from previous educations.
Attach as a PDF.
Attach as a PDF.
Letter(s) of recommendation.
Attach as a PDF.
A letter in which you describe yourself. You are free to express yourself in what way you want but the letter has to contain:
Who you are and why you make an application to the education.
Your experiences when it comes to writing screenplays
A preview on where you see your self career wise in 5 years from now.
The personal letter should be no more than one page long.
All work samples are to be written in English.
• 2 feature film concepts, each not more than one page. Both concepts should have one scene, correctly formatted, attached that is not more than 2 pages,
• 2 drama-series concepts, each not more than one page. Both concepts should have one scene, correctly formatted, attached that is not more than 2 pages,
Compile all work samples in one single PDF document with numbered pages.
Please write your full name on the front page of the document.
We apply a continuous admission and you can be called for an interview in person or by phone even before the application period ends.
Notification of admission is ongoing but must have reached everyone by the end of June, with the exception of residual places that can be offered until the start of the course.
A few hours a week we have optional classes. Such as choir practice, ethics, book circle or a knitting café. It varies from year to year. There are plenty of opportunities for exercise and work out of various kinds, either at school or in the neighborhood. Examples are gym passes, ball games, swimming and gym. Sometimes the whole class or the whole school goes to joint concerts, exhibitions, theater performances and lectures.